About Me

My photo
I am very new to Bikram yoga and have really come to fall in love with the practice. I am excited to share my Bikram experiences as I challenge myself to new heights of self-awareness and strength...through sweating in the heat. I am an RN in Baltimore who also loves to enjoy food, travel, experience music and dance...after a weekend of that, Bikram is a necessity! For me, Bikram is a natural Red Bull and the key to the best night's sleep you've ever had (also the best Booty sculptor known to man). If you are an anomalous yogi like me or just want some honest feelings on starting the practice, read my blog! Enjoy!

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

No more yoga at 11am!

I was so hungry.  I was nauseous because I was too scared to eat anything substantial before class.  Since I've worked the past few days, I woke up early, and stayed up all morning without eating!  Which is the worst thing for my body that I could do.  I mean, I've been reading The Hunger Games, and because of that chick's misgivings in life, I've been very appreciative of the plentiful feasts that are available to me, daily, but not eating for a few hours in the first part of my day is sickening.  I just can't function and I just don't have the energy to do Bikram!  I did suck it up and eat a banana and a hard boiled egg before 10, but I was seriously wondering if I should just skip class with that smearing all over my GI tract before I massaged them in the compression poses.

As always, the 11:30 class was not packed.  There were about 8 of us, and Lauren kept shooting directions at me in class.  It was helpful, but it made me frustrated that she was paying attention to me while I was feeling so sluggish. There was a whole lot of wobbling and putting my foot down going on, as opposed to properly balancing on one leg.  I really didn't put my all into the practice today, it was so difficult to stay upright while I was feeling so tired.  Not only was I exhausted and faint from not eating, the three shifts in a row that I worked over the past three days were really physically draining!  My body felt like it was made out of clay, and throughout the class I did try to lock my knees more than I usually do, but the muscles used for that were super tired in the following poses, so those were performed pretty haphazardly.  Oh, except boat pose!  I am still feeling it in my back.  Might as well try hard for 1 out of 26, right?

So note to self, no more 11:30 class unless I happen to wake up starving at 6 am.  Oh, something weird: the guy next to me in class was drinking chlorophyll!  Is that beneficial to humans?  I thought it was just for photosynthesis in plants?  Did I miss something in Plant Bio?

And another note (last one): Happy Spring!  Hope you got your free Rita's like Colleen and I did!  We waited at the Rita's in the Harbor for probably an hour.  But it was worth it, especially because I also got the second Hunger Games book Catching Fire on that same trip.  Cheers to sunlight after 7pm and no coats!

No comments:

Post a Comment