About Me

My photo
I am very new to Bikram yoga and have really come to fall in love with the practice. I am excited to share my Bikram experiences as I challenge myself to new heights of self-awareness and strength...through sweating in the heat. I am an RN in Baltimore who also loves to enjoy food, travel, experience music and dance...after a weekend of that, Bikram is a necessity! For me, Bikram is a natural Red Bull and the key to the best night's sleep you've ever had (also the best Booty sculptor known to man). If you are an anomalous yogi like me or just want some honest feelings on starting the practice, read my blog! Enjoy!

Monday, February 20, 2012

My commitment to Bikram

I got home from VA on Sunday night feeling completely energized...like for the rest of the day. And night, because it was suddenly 2 am and I was wide awake. I was so interested to learn more about Bikram Yoga and this practice that has gotten Jen, one of my most motivated and neurotic friends, so hooked. And most importantly, how is this going to change my body? I've been feeling super lazy and tired in the past few months. I blame it on my day-night rotating work schedule and the winter blues that has tuned me into fat hibernation mode, so I am itching to find an energy cure. When I think about it, the class was a pretty low-intensity movement class, but the effects on the body were super high-intensity because of the heat. My heart was definitely pounding quickly every time I rolled over into savasana. And every compression pose definitely made my head spin. And lying awake at 2am, I am very awake, yet my muscles already feel so sore 14 hours after class.

I googled everything about Bikram Choudhury and his invention of Bikram Yoga. Apparently this is the messiah of workouts, that heals like no other, and brings one's metabolism and body systems to normal, even for diabetics and people with weak skeletal systems. In my years of study of biology and body systems, and in my nursing practice, I believe it. There is definitely some more research to be done on my part, but I can at least fundamentally see how this practice can help me, as an averagely fit, healthy individual. I am already reasonably flexible, with intact spine and knees, so why not? I have been dying to try some new workout and I still can't run outside consistently because its too cold and I've been increasingly needing my inhaler after runs. So why not? By now I'm very excited about this new practice, so I also google studios in the area and am excited to find Bikram Yoga of Hampden. They have an awesome introductory offer of unlimited classes for a month for $35. I paid $18 for my one class in Fairfax, and the typical price of 1 class is $15-$18 everywhere else, and if I'm going to start doing this regularly, uhm...duh, let's do this!

But I'll start on Wednesday because I work night shift Monday and Tuesday and I'm afraid class might make me so exhausted that I can't stay up for work :/

No comments:

Post a Comment